When I first chose "Californication," I mostly chose it based on the metaphors in the song and how I felt they would accurately describe the truth behind the California dream. While looking at the song though, I also noticed how sarcastic and ironic the song was which I liked because it made me laugh too while I was reading the lyrics. I also did not realize how the music video had metaphors similar to the song. For example, the music video had one of the band members swimming through an ocean with sharks and then magically landing in a convertible which seems to represent how quickly one can rise in California. Also, another aspect I did not realize when first writing the paper was how the lead singer Anthony Kiedis's personal history influenced the song. His Father moved to California to pursue an acting career but the California dream was unfufilled for him and even for Kiedis, it took him eight years to finally rise in the charts with his 1991 hit "Under the Bridge." Overall, I liked all the insights of "Californication" and how it shined new light on the California dream.

No comments:
Post a Comment