Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Why I chose Californication

I had narrowed down my choice of songs to a few including "Californication," "It Never Rains in Southern California" and "Valley Girl." I chose "Californication" because it represented all the aspects I wanted in a song. I wanted my song to have metaphors relating to the California dream and I wanted those metaphors to mock the California dream. "Californication" had those aspects while showing how the California dream is an exaggerated and addicting idea.

The reason I did not choose "It Never Rains in Southern California" was that although it demonstrated the California dream's shortfalls, it did not go further in depth and contained a blander description of the California Dream. Besides the line "it never rains in California but girl they don't warn ya it pours, it pours," I did not find the uniqueness "Californication" has. 

I did not choose "Valley Girl" because although it went in depth and was unique, it was too specific. "Californication" covered a more broader category but not as broad as "It Never Rains..." "Valley Girl" focused only on one aspect of the California Dream which is living in the San Fernando Valley and how superficial and not "traditional American" the culture is there. Also, the song was slightly dated (it was released in 1982) and I wanted a more modern song that could capture how the California Dream is viewed today. Therefore, I chose "Californication." 


2 comments:

  1. It is obvious that you put a lot of thought into selecting your song, and it is great that you picked the most metaphorical and unique one to you. This is a skill that doesn't come easily to many, but it sure worked out for you in this paper! Nice pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you chose Californication for you song choice. I agree that it mocks the image of the California Dream with its metaphorical lines and makes it a desirable dream for outsiders

    ReplyDelete